Sunday, December 20, 2009

Top 10 Albums of 2009

3 Frightened Rabbit – The Midnight Organ Fight
I thought The Modern Leper was rubbish when I first heard it. I still can't really be arsed with it, but once you get past it the album gradually picks up. And by the time you get to the fourth track – Fast Blood – I defy anyone not to be tapping their foot, nodding their head or more likely doing some kind of awkward indie-kid shuffle around the floor. It starts out fantastic:
Good night/ Its Showtime/ Lets get paralysed/ Down both sides/ Snake Hips ...
and then just gets better. By the time you get to Heads Roll Off:
Jesus/ Is just a Spanish boys name ...
you will be convinced that the Midnight Organ Fight is one of the most original and thrilling records in recent years and that they all deserve to be bigger stars than Robbie Williams. I do anyway.

No comments: